SC - 86 Thunderbolt
“THUNDERBOLT” rifles are a new genre of rifle designs specifically for Law Enforcement and Military applications. Using the latest computer 3D modelling, CNC machining, premium grade materials with stringent quality control we have created a range of rifles which rank amongst the world’s most accurate rifles. It is not by chance therefore that Thunderbolt rifles are also reliable, comfortable, robust and safe.
sc - 86 thunderbolt overview
The Thunderbolt rifle is a premium product, designed specifically to meet military requirements for strength, precision, build quality and durability. Military trials have proven our rifles ability to operate under the most extreme environmental conditions. Designed and built in England, using the latest technology, finest materials and to extremely close tolerances. Our quality control meets the highest recognised standards.
The Thunderbolt Extreme has proven itself to rank amongst the world’s most accurate rifles. It is by design and not by chance that Thunderbolt rifles have proved to be reliable, ergonomically pleasing and durable. Our products are designed to meet and exceed the most stringent safety standards.
The SC-86 THUNDERBOLT is available
as a short barrel (SB) – engagement range to 1,250 metres
and a long Barrel (LB) – engagement range to 1,800 metres
NB: The above is dependent upon ammunition, type of target and of course shooters skill.
- Our receivers use a rugged, high tensile steel 4-lug bolt, incorporating an innovative firing pin system. The short firing pin travel enables a very fast lock time (firing pin release to primer impact) of around 1.5 milliseconds. This improves rifle control during the firing cycle.
- Steel Core Designs (SCD) barrels are produced to a very high quality match grade specification, fluted for improved heat dissipation and rifle balance. Barrels are coated with Teflon and are threaded at the muzzle for easy attachment and detachment of the muzzle brake and/or the fitment of suppressor.
- Heavy recoil plate system is located into both the action body and rifle stock. This feature reduces flexing of the stock structure, assists in rifle accuracy, and enhances recoil management.
- The ergonomic stock design follows the natural path of the recoil. The barrel, receiver and butt are in a straight line to the users shoulder. Rifle control during the shot is maximised and assists the user in spotting shot impact and new target acquisition.
- Low friction and wear resistant VDP coatings reduce the need for lubrication. The weapons are ideally suited for the extremes of heat, cold, damp and dry dusty conditions found in current operational environments.
- A high quality trigger is vital to enable shooter and rifle to perform together. All SCD triggers have a 2 stage operation, first and second pull, factory set to 1.5 kg pull weight. The release is both crisp and predictable, and maintenance requirement is minimal.The complete trigger unit can be readily removed for cleaning.
- The rifle safety lever is incorporated in the trigger mechanism for ease of use.
- The 600 mm Picatinny scope rail is available with a parallel or angled option to suit the weapon and/or customer requirements. The top rail will accommodate additional thermal and night vision equipment. The integrated side and lower Picatinny rails are supplied for supporting additional equipment and accessories.
- The SCD designed bipod is fully height adjustable and fits directly to the forend. The bipod features a swivel action which rotates around the centreline of the bore. This feature minimises shot deviation due to torque reaction. The bipod features a quick release mechanism and needs no tools for removal or fitting.
- Our highly efficient muzzle brake is a standard fitment to all our tactical rifles and greatly reduces recoil and increases control of rifle movement during the firing process.
- The THUNDERBOLT EXTREME has a unique ambidextrous, ergonomically designed stock. The unique blend of rubberised materials used in the stock design reduces vibration and are highly resistant to impact damage. The specially formulated synthetic material used in the stock construction is highly resistant to attack from solvents and many commonly used chemicals. Aircraft grade alloys combined with our synthetic coating result in a stock which is stable, durable and quiet to carry. Proven to perform in extremes of hot and cold operational environments.
- The THUNDERBOLT stock features a folding butt as standard for easy bore sighting, cleaning, maintenance and transit. The butt is adjustable for length with spacers and incorporates a quick deployment mono pod, fully adjustable with thumbwheel fine adjustment.
- Standard colours are Black and Dark Earth. Non-standard stock colours are available but may be subject to additional cost.
- Calibre8.6 x 70 (338 Lapua Magnum)
- Engagement Range *Long Barrel up to 1,800 metres | Short Barrel up to 1,250 metres
- Accuracy **<½ MOA <0.15 Mil Rad
- Magazine10 Rounds per Magazine
- Short Barrel (SB) Length20” 51 cm
- Long Barrel (LB) Length27” 71 cm
- Barrel Twist1 : 10” 1:24.5 cm
- SB Overall Length43” 109 cm
- SB Folded Length33” 84 cm
- LB Overall Length50” 127 cm
- LB Folded Length40” 100 cm
- Operational Weight ***18.5 lbs 8.40kgs
- Stock ColourBlack And Dark Earth
- Muzzle BrakeStd
- Sling AttachmentStd
- Field Tool KitStd
- Field Cleaning KitStd
- Other ModelsSC-76: 7.62 x 51 NATO
- OptionsTactical Day Scope And Rings, Night Vision And LADS, Infra-Red And TI Sight, Waterproof Rigid Transit / Storage Case, Drag Bag, Sound Suppressor, Sling, Training
- * Dependent upon ammunition and shooter skill.
- ** Using match grade ammunition, group size as defined by SCD is measured from shot centre to centre with a four shot group. Tested distance 100 metres.
- *** Weight will vary according to accessories and specification
- Specifications will vary according to customer needs.